Doing A New Thing

 

Welcome to something new

Let me first introduce you to, well, me. My name is Brain McMeans and I am a 49 year old weightlifting and database enthusiast. I have lived in the Woodlands for the last 17 years with my wife and two children, a few dogs and a mess of cats. I've owned a game store, worked for several great companies, tried my hand at personal training and now am fully settled and looking towards the future.

I have nearly 20 years experience in SQL Server ranging from versions 2000-2022. My path has been an interesting one. I began working with SQL Server 2005 when we were implementing a new HR system for the company I was working at. Fumbling my way through it and writing some truly horrible queries to get data imported. In 2006, a co-worker had a free certification exam voucher that she didn't need. I was able to snag it, picked up the MSCP exam book for SQL 2005 and began studying. Figured if I failed the exam, hey all I'm out is time and the cost of the book. However I did NOT fail, and thus completed my first certification! Since then I have made it my mission to continually grow and learn in the SQL Server space. 

What is The Viking DBA?

This is an idea that I've been kicking around for about a year now. I look at content creators online and contemplate "what do I have to offer that's new? Fresh? Something no one else has done?" What about smashing together two of my largest passions; weightlifting and SQL databases? That's definitely unique and fresh! Odd, not a great many folks combining those subjects. 
I've been going for this Viking look for a bit now; the full beard, starting to grow out my hair to braid. And for some reason, The Viking DBA just felt right and, well....here we are.

What will this be?

My tag line in social media profiles says "Making your databases and your body stronger." The goal being to share fitness tips while also relating content for making databases work faster and covering some basic topics. My social media platforms will be the primary location for sharing my gym videos while encouraging folks it the IT space to get in shape and possibly inspire some up and coming DB folks with some helpful tips I've accumulated in my close to 20 year career.
The blog will be a way to convey longer form topics that I can't or don't cover in short 1-3 minute videos.

Why Now?

I have always had a yearning to help people. In 2021 I left my comfortable corporate job for a personal trainer gig. I've undergone an incredible transformation and I wanted to help others reach their fitness and health goals. Alas, that gig did not last long and I had to return to corporate life. However the desire to reach and impact people has never waivered, I just wasn't sure how to go about it. The idea for this mashup began to formulate a few months back and I kept putting it off. The more I sat and thought about content ideas though, I felt "Why do I need to wait? Let's get hopping on it now!" And voila.

What's Next?

Follow this blog, obviously. But below are my other social channels. If you use them, give me a follow and if it's content you feel is relevant to others, please share. I'll be starting up content soon.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Out of INT

Supplements and SQL Hints - Part 1 - TSQL Helpers